Top Social

Establishing a Travel Fund for Beginners

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

As I've mentioned both in my personal blog, IzzaGlino and here in SavingsPinay, traveling is one major thing that I am hoping to accomplish this 2016. I already posted the places I wanted to visit and thankfully this February I will be going to the first one, Pampanga. 

When I put traveling as part of my 2016 bucket list I knew that it will be very costly. Actually money is the main reason why it had always remained as a wish list for years. And then I saw this powerful quote that motivated me to do it no matter what.

And so today I'll share the things I did and I am continually doing to establish a travel fund and make it happen. I also included actual lessons I have researched. 


Cut down on your spending

For the first month of 2016 I've been very frugal when it comes to my food consumption. My lunch is about 50-75pesos a day compared to last year when I spend 100-120pesos eating on fast food chains. I try as hard as I can to go out of the house at 6:30am so I cam have a leisure time to walk the street going to the FX Terminal instead of paying 8pesos for the pedicab. Another new thing is how I manage not to shop for any makeup. So far I still live by the make ups I accumulated last year though of course the kikay in me miss buying new makeup so much. 

The thing is you need to cut down on your spending and live as frugal as possible if you want to establish a travel fund. List down the your expenses in a month and determine any item you can cut down like movie nights, dinners or subscription from magazine etc. 

Allot a percentage of your income to Save
Of course once you cut down your expenses you need to save the amount. You can open a new savings account here or use your existing. You can also create a jar at home to physically save the amount though you might want to hide it in a safe place. 

As for me all of my extra income from hosting events and freelance writing goes my Travel Fund. It's good to have extra money to allot but if you are in a situation where you only rely on one source of income below are my tips:
  • If traveling is something you really want to do then prioritize it over any other expenses. Treat your travel fund as a bill that you need to pay on a monthly bill. 
  • You can also try saving method like the 52-Week Money Challenge which will make saving a large amount easier.
  • Use your talent and your spare time to earn more. If you will just research then you'll surely find other means to fund your travel. 
RELATED LINKS:
  1. How Much Money Should You Save Each Month? - New!
  2. Managing Your Money: A Beginner's Guide
  3. Saving Tips for Those who are Living from Paycheck to Paycheck
  4. Saving and Investing Tips for 20-somethings
  5. The Time is Running Out!!! Learn the Importance of Saving Money NOW!
Sell your unused stuff or start an income-generating online business

If you are really committed in traveling then you can start selling your unused stuff that are still marketable. You can start a garage sale or an ukay-ukay instagram shop. You can even put "I want to establish a travel fund" as the reason why you selling your stuff away. People will surely support the cause. 

Currently me and my bff Nica have plans of opening an Instagram shop. The proceeds of that shop will surely go to my travel fund as well. 

RELATED LINKS:
Why Establish a Travel Fund

Over the weekend I went on a day hike at Mt. Manabu Batangas and I must say it felt so fulfilling. I never hiked before and had never committed into something extreme. It was also the first time I became so close to nature. At the summit I breathe life... nature... air that will hug your innermost being. That experience is priceless. Its beyond anything one can imagine. I felt different afterwards. 

So put travel in your priorities. Widen your horizon. Expand your world. Even if you have no idea how you can fund it... make a way. 

Hope you enjoyed this post.

Post Comment
Post a Comment