Top Social

Lessons Filipinos Can Learn from the Chinese

Thursday, February 19, 2015
In celebration of this year's Chinese New Year I thought of dedicating a particular blog post for the nation of the Land of Opportunities.
During my school days I have been taught about how well Chinese are in terms of finances. They have been the owners of some of the biggest businesses in the country. They are also known for their natural frugal living and how well they spend their money.
I don't remember where I first heard about this line but has always been in my mind ever since.
"Ang Pinoy ang sinasabi "Anak magaral ka ng mabuti para pagnakataposka makahanap ka ng magandang trabaho" and Tsinoy ang sinasabi "Anak mag-aral ka ng mabuti para pag nakatapos ka makapagtayo ka ng negosyo.
Chinese goes a level higher with their target goals. A business over a job which is true. That's why most of them save their money during their days in school so that as soon as they graduate they'll be able to have their first investment happen.
They also pass that knowledge to their younger generations same as with how they deal with their businesses… always incorporating the family members as part of the organization.
Another quick story is that I hosted a 90th birthday before and I didn't know that it was for a Chinese Family. I was actually not late but let's just say almost all the guests were already in the venue which means as the emcee, I have to start already. Since I am used to the Filipino Time I didn't really take notice of my arrival. That made me conclude of one great value of the Chinese.
  1. They value time so much. They go much earlier than expected.
  2. They are family oriented. I love how they take care of the family ties
  3. They value commitments. When they say they will come to an event or to the place or a meeting, they will be there.
Some of the Chinese Businessmen You that will Inspire You
Henry Sy
  • Though born from a poor family in Xiamen, China, Henry Sy immigrated to the Philippines and started selling rejected and overrun shoes in Tondo. This business grew and is now known as SM Supermall. His net worth is about $12 Billion as of September 2014 and considered as the Philippines richest man.  Sy is considered as a tai-pan or  a top-class businessman. 
Lucio Tan
  • Lucio Tan once worked as a janitor in a tobacco factory to pay for school but now owns Asia Brewery, Philippine's second largest brewery. He is also dubbed as one of world's largest rum makers. He owns University of the East, Philippine Airlines, Eton Properties, Philippine National Bank, Allied Bank and many more.
John Gokongwei
  • Though born of a rich Chinese background, John straggled upon the death of his father. He strive hard to earn  a living for his family by peddling items along the streets of Cebu from his bicycle. Then he earned his mark in the entrepreneurship by manufacturing through a corn milling plant called Universal Corn Products now known as Universal Robina Corporation. His assets diversified from telecommunication, financial services, power generation, aviation and livestock farming. His net worth was over $5 billion.

Filipinos can learn a lot from the Chinese not just financially but also on the right attitude about life. They take risk and are courageous enough to grow their money. They love new learning as well as networking with great people that could be potential source of information. If God will bless me with a Chinese husband, I would be very thankful as I know I will marry a man I can trust with our finances. :)
Happy Chinese New Year and how lucky are we Filipinos to be celebrating Two New Years in one year.
Post Comment
Post a Comment